We are living in the information age, and our society needs highly literate graduates with advanced knowledge of the nature, function, and evolution of communicating through multiple mediums.
Communication Studies at McMaster is an interdisciplinary program offered by the Faculty of Humanities. Students examine core issues and learn about communication theories, which will give them the tools to make sense of the tangled web of media, culture, and language in a world where messages are embedded in all forms of information. They also take courses in different areas of communication studies such as cultural studies, performance studies, and mass communication.
- Honours Communication Studies (B.A.)
- Combined Honours in Communication Studies and Another Subject (B.A.)
Programs in Communication Studies are administered by the Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia.
Skills & Potential Careers
- Writing for diverse audiences
- Presentations across various formats/platforms
- Interpersonal communication
- Research analysis
- Media literacy
- Project management and coordination
- Critical thinking
- Public relations
- Communications officer/manager
- Social media manager/consultant
- Marketing and promotions
- Risk manager/crisis communications
- Project manager
- Event planner
- Community organizer